Fashion Red hair! How to

I went from this:


to this:


to finally, this:


I always wanted red hair...real Crayola RED hair!! Maybe because red is my favorite color and has been since I was 2, or maybe because I loved the Little Mermaid when I was a little girl, but after going through my 20's being cautious and not really doing certain things I wanted (like piercing my nose which I did at 29) and my red hair (I don't know why I thought I couldn't pull it off)
Now that I have turned 30 I've decided that life is too short to not do the things that make you happy, especially if they are even little things like changing your hair color.
I did a lot of research and watched tons of videos on how to get my hair to the red I wanted, But I didn't want to use a semi-permanent because semi-permanents fade very quickly.I did dye it red with a permanent dye and it didn't come out how I wanted, so I kept watching videos.
I found a video of a girl with super red hair and she shared how she did it, I then decided to ask someone who had the red hair color that I wanted. Luckily enough, Miss Siony was kind enough to tell me what she used and she confirmed what the girl in the video had said!
Anyhow, let's get to how I did it.Now, I had my hair dyed jet black and had been dyeing it black for 6 years, but if your hair isn't dyed, then you can skip this part.But one more thing...My hair is on the thicker side, so it can take a lot of abuse if your hair is fine go lower volume on the developer


WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
*FOR DYED HAIR ONLY- L'OREAL'S HAIR COLOR REMOVER
*40 OR/AND 30 VOLUME CREAM DEVELOPER (YOU NEED 30 FOR THE RED DYE)
*TWO POWDER BLEACH PACKETS TRY L'OREAL'S QUICK BLUE
*L'OREAL'S HICOLOR HIGHLIGHTS IN MAGENTA (2 IF YOU HAVE HAIR LONGER THAN SHOULDER LENGTH OR HAVE A LOT OF HAIR)
*PROTEIN FILLER IN RED RED
*GLOVES
* 2 PLASTIC PROCESSING CAPS OR PLASTIC GROCERY BAGS
*PLASTIC BOWL
* 2 TINT BRUSHES (ONE FOR BLEACH AND ONE FOR DYE)
*OLD TOWELS FOR YOUR HAIR AND TO PROTECT WORK AREA
*VASELINE TO PROTECT SKIN FROM DYE
*MANIC PANIC DYE IN VAMPIRE RED



STEP ONE: stripped my hair with L'OREAL'S HAIR COLOR REMOVER, you can buy it at Walmart and costs about $8 and if your hair is longer than shoulder length, I suggest buying two.follow the instructions carefully.

STEP TWO: I bleached my hair using a powder hair bleach (L'OREAL'S QUICK BLUE is good) and used a 40 vol. developer.Leave it on for 20 minutes and keep checking it to see if its orange.**THE GOAL IS TO GET YOUR HAIR TO AN ORANGE COLOR, THINK OF THE ORANGEY COLOR OF CLAY (EX. PLANT CLAY POTS)**
~~~~TIP: IF YOUR HAVE MEDIUM TO LIGHT BROWN HAIR THAT ISN'T DYED YOU CAN SKIP THE BLEACH AND USE A VERY BLONDE HAIR DYE, JUST USE A 30 VOLUME DEVELOPER.~~~~


STEP THREE: After I washed and dried my hair (your hair will be a bit straw-like) I dyed it with L'Oreal's hicolor highlights in Magenta I added a 30 volume developer and a protein filler in red red into the dye.Left it on for about 40 minutes.Rinsed and conditioned just a tiny bit on the ends,I didn't want to lose any more dye lol! And, I let it air dry because I didn't want to put my hair through another blow drying.

Now, red hair is a pain to maintain, so if you're going to commit, then know that red hair needs extra care. I plan to maintain my hair by using a red hair shampoo and conditioner and Manic panic's Vampire red. when I see that my hair is starting to fade I'll just dye it with the Vampire red and I will also be using the protein filler in the shower.I will also not wash my hair everyday and will be using a dry shampoo.

TO MAINTAIN YOUR HAIR THE WAY I AM YOU'LL NEED:

*RED HAIR SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER
*MANIC PANIC'S VAMPIRE RED
*PROTEIN FILLER IN RED RED
*DRY SHAMPOO

TO MAINTAIN ROOTS:
*L'OREAL'S HICOLOR HIGHLIGHTS IN MAGENTA
*30 VOLUME DEVERLOPER
*PROTEIN FILLER IN RED RED

~~~I BOUGHT EVERYTHING I NEEDED AT SALLY BEAUTY SUPPLY AND WALMART~~~~

I hope this is clear and helpful for anyone who wants to dye their hair red, like mine.Have fun!! Disclaimer: I AM NOT A HAIR EXPERT, THIS IS SIMPLY WHAT HAS WORKED FOR ME, I DON'T HAVE COARSE HAIR, MY HAIR IS MEDIUM AND A MED-LIGHT BROWN AND LIFTS PRETTY EASILY.PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH ON WHAT MIGHT WORK BEST FOR YOUR HAIR TYPE. THANK YOU.

Comments

  1. I forgot to mention, one processing cap to process the bleach and the other to process the red dye...you can also get a 3rd processing cap to wear in the shower on days when you don't wash your hair.
    And YOUR HAIR MUST BE DRY TO DYE IT WITH THE HICOLOR HIGHLIGHTS DYE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT BLOG! PLEASE CHECK OUT MY 31 GiFTS FACEBOOK PAGE AT Facebook.com/ThirtyOneStorey & please "Like" iT HAS REALLY CUTE TOTES, ACCESSORiES, PURSES, ETC! tHANKSS (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your hair! Your blog is great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used hicolor in red hot for a few months and then went back brown with blond highlights but now I'm going back to red. The hair that was dyed brown didn't lift of course so now I need something to even it out. Do you think I could just use a bleach and not use the color remover? Also, did you bleach your roots too or just the ends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. I am seeing my comments way too late...I'm sorry about that...you probably already went through the whole dyeing your hair process. I think using the hair dye remover would have been good enough...I did bleach my roots as well.

      Hair update...I still have it bright red, but I no longer use bleach, I simply use the HIcolor with a 40 volume developer and it does the trick.

      Delete
  5. Super late I know just found your blog and I cant believe your 30 you dont look older than 20

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw your comment!! thank you very much! =)

      Delete
  6. Hi Lynneth!I'm not sure if you'll see this soon, but I'd love to have you contribute looks to Makeup Geek if you're interested? If so, let me know- my email is marlena@makeupgeek.com

    Nice looks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. To previous poster, I'd you don't need bleach then how would you achieve the same results on hair that's been dyed black?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. for hair that is previously dyed black, you will have to use a hair dye remover ...I had to use one on my hair. L'Oreal makes one. I bought mine at walmart....you might still need to bleach or use a ultra light blonde hair dye with a 40 volume developer to further lift your hair color....I've done that as well, that is how I know it works =)

      Delete
  8. Supposedly the HiColor Highlights lifts even black hair and takes it to the level you want without pre-lightening. I'm gonna give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It will lift "NATURAL" DARK HAIR,not "DYED"DARK HAIR

    ReplyDelete
  10. Right now my hair looks like the second photo... How do I get it to the red you have in the 3rd photo? I have parts blackish and parts bright red. How do I go about fixing that to the nice bright red in the 3rd photo? Help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also I used the hicolor in "red" twice. From black that was dyed 8 months before. The black was really faded. So I got 2 boxes, used one, waited, then used the other. And now it looks like the second photo. It's been a few weeks, and I want to take the RIGHT next step to making this the perfect red. So I need some advice please! Thanks! Btw, my name is Jazi I wrote both comments so that no ones confused.

      Delete
    2. Hi Jazi,
      If you already got your hair to a dark red, like on the 2nd photo, I'd say, you'll have to do the Hicolor one more time, with a 40 volume developer...that is how I did it...and wear a plastic cap, it'll create heat and help the dye lift the hair. Then add the Manic Panic Vampire Red (that will give the nice bright red color)

      Delete
  11. I wouldn't recommend using hair color remover and then stripping it afterwards, especially doing it yourself, at home, with 40 volume developer. This is just what worked for her, which won't work for everyone. And color does not lift color unless it's your NATURAL color. I'm licensed... Just warning you before you try to do this and it doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what would work??
      maybe you can give us some of your expert advice on what would work??

      Delete

Post a Comment

Your make-up questions,comments and thoughts?

Popular Posts