Eyebrow grooming mistakes and how to fix them


I think a lot of us have seen or have made eyebrow grooming mistakes.Ever since I was in high school and I would see other girls totally botch their eyebrows by trying to completely change the shape,shaving them off and re-drawing them or over plucking where they just shouldn't be plucking, it would bother me because I would see some really pretty girls just ruin their whole face by messing up their eyebrows. I myself made a huge plucking mistake, in high school I was a big No Doubt fan and I just loved Gwen Stefani's eyebrows, so I plucked mine thin, the problem was they never grew back to how they used to be, so now, I am stuck always filling and shaping my eyebrows.
Well to this day, bad eyebrow grooming is something that still bothers me, a lot!!! and whenever I do see it, I just cringe inside...lol! and at the same time I get the intense urge to want to fix those poor mistreated eyebrows! But I bite my tongue cause I just don't want to make anyone feel bad, not every woman knows how to groom their eyebrows correctly and us who do shouldn't go around criticizing them.
So now to the fun part! ha ha!! I've picked 3 of the eyebrow grooming mistakes I see the most and I want to show how to fix them. I've taken some of my pictures and edited them to show the wrong and right way to do your eyebrows.Your eyebrows are very important they really do frame and bring balance to your face.

EYEBROW MISTAKE #1: OVER PLUCKING IN BETWEEN THE EYEBROWS.


Over plucking in between your eyebrows can, not only make your nose look bigger but it just ruins your natural expression. Now let's look at the right way:


Now here we see the difference, I've also marked where your eyebrow should start and end.Your eyebrows should start where the inner corner of your eye starts(it doesn't have to be exact but its better if your eyebrow doesn't start past that line) If you take a thin pencil and align it with your nostril it will also give you a sense of where your eyebrow should begin, but I rather use the inner corner of the eye because its closer to the eyebrow.The angled line shows where your eyebrow should end. Don't pluck past those points.


EYEBROW GROOMING MISTAKE #2: OVER PLUCKING UNDER THE BROW OR CHANGING THE NATURAL SHAPE.


Here we see an eyebrow that's been over-plucked on its underside which really ruins the eyebrow's natural shape. It gives a very harsh look to the face.
And now lets look at the right way:


The line under your eyebrow should be straight as it goes up to your arch.I've highlighted the line in pink to show this line.Everyone has a natural arch some higher than others and its always best just to go with your natural arch rather than trying to create an exaggerated arch which will only make you look, well, mad.


And now to EYEBROW GROOMING MISTAKE #3: OVERDRAWN OR EYEBROWS THAT ARE SHADED TOO DARK AND NOT WELL BLENDED.


Here we see those "cartoon" brows that look like if someone took a marker and drew them on.They are so dark that they look like someone went to town with the tattoo gun!! This also will make your expression look harsh and give you more of a "clown" look than a soft and defined look. Let's take a look at the right way:


Here, even though I have to completely shade in my brows and shape them because my hairs are just so sparse, my eyebrows still have a very natural look, that plays well with my jet black hair.
How do I do it? well, I only use an eyebrow pencil to create the arch line and slightly darken the outer line of my eyebrow. for the rest of my eyebrow, I use an angled eyeliner brush and either a soft black eye shadow or a dark brown matte eyeshadow,sometimes both.Depending on what my make-up look is and what season we're in.The trick is to apply a little at a time using soft strokes,never pressing the brush too hard against the skin.We want blended not painted eyebrows.
For the most part it is suggested that when filling your eyebrows, to use and eyebrow powder or shadow, in a shade or two lighter than your hair color, this is to create a softer look on the face.

So, I hope this has helped! at least in the knowledge part =) If you would like to see me do a video on how I groom my eyebrows, let me know!!

Comments

  1. These tips help SOOOOO much! you have no idea how many times i mess up my brows! they're getting to the point where they are too thin so im having to fill the color in! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad this helps khylita!!!! yay!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh La La! Gorgeous eyebrows!!! Love Love it!

    I have the same problem as you!! My biggest offender is drawing them too dark :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please post on video on how to do your eyebrows. Mine are over plucked and need help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am planning to do one as soon as I can =)

      Delete
    2. Ah. I have raven black hair and wind up drawing them too dark because it looks awkward with black eyebrow hairs and brown eyebrow pencil. So I use the darkest of the shades I find since that is the only shade that does not have too much red in it to clash with my natural brows. I just cannot find my color in a lighter shade.

      Delete
    3. I have really dark hair too and I use the color charcoal black. Its lighter than my eyeliner (which is almost as dark as my hair) and it gives my eyebrows a really soft look. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  5. Yes, PLEASE post a video on how to correctly fill in your eyebrows!! I have never been able to do it correctly and need the help!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The next video I'm doing will be on how I fill in my eyebrows...coming soon =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. I have never ever tried doing my own eyebrows since a friend tried to do them when I was 13. She left me with two lines above my eyes. With this post I did them myself and they actually look really good. Now I'm going to save money. Keeup up the good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. anonymous Jan 17,2012...you are so very welcome and I and very, very glad that this was helpful to you....I am planning to do a video tutorial on how I do my eyebrows, I hope you will re-visit my blog so you can use the video to further help you. And thank you =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What brand do you recommend for brows. Mine are also very sparse, but I have a hard time finding a good, smooth pencil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually will just use a matte eyeshadow to fill my eyebrows...any drugstore brand should workout...currently I use the eyeshadows from a makeup palette sold at Coastalscents.com...it is the 88 eyeshadow palette.

      Delete
  10. Please do a video and please recommend products for us! You are very very talented!
    Thank you,
    Pen

    ReplyDelete
  11. For product recommendations, please like my page on Facebook! find: MakeupArtistMe

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had my eyebrows waxed about 10 years ago. I was allergic to the products they used and all of my eyebrows fell out! They have NEVER grown back correctly and look horrible all the time. I hate pictures to this day because all I can see are the messed up eyebrows. My eyebrows fit into everyone of these catergories, so everyone of these tips should help me. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had dark hair and dark eyebrows and was never unhappy with their shape..and then AGE happened. You may not know the answer to this..but I FINALLY gave in and let my hair go to it's natural silver. It isn't an iron gray, thank heavens, but has turned silver with some streaks of dark toward the back..and I really like it. However..my eyebrows have grayed and thinned. I am wondering what to do with them as dying them is terrible and will never try that again! Not dong anything to them...and I look blank and they are very think just past the middle not to mention gray.
    What can I do..thanks for any suggestions.
    Not being old you may not have any idea...but I thought I would ask anyway. Sorta out of my element here, I know. :)
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mona,
      The only thing I would suggest is maybe using pencil to fill your eyebrows but in a darker Taupe shade (it tends to be more of a gray-brown than a red-brown) and applying a slightly lighter Taupe powder over it using an angled eyeliner brush.

      I use a pencil from NYC (sold at walmart) in Sable...it is that darker Taupe brown I'm talking about. and any matte Taupe eye shadow may work.
      I hope this helps.

      Delete
  14. I really like your blog. And your tips are very helpful. But the black background contrasted with the pink handwritten font & squeezed together text is extremely difficult to read. I offer this suggestion as a Graphic Designer, Artist and Make Up Junkie. I want to read all your tips without a headache. May I compare it to a eyebrow that has been over penciled? It is distracting. May I suggest a non serif type possibly in white. I appreciate you are all about the color so maybe keep the dates in pink. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey There,
    I use to have part of my eyebrow missing as a result of a car accident,the Dr.told me it would never grow back because the roots had been destroyed(it never did grow back.)It has been around 23yrs since the accident & about 1yr ago I heard about a growth serum that you can use on both your brows & lashes.Well I figured what have I got to loose so I gave it a try.Around 1&1/2mos after I began using it I started to notice little brow hairs starting to grow in the bald spot.As you can imagine I was amazed & over joyed,I coul not believe that after that long I was actually growing hairs.Now I have beautiful brows & REALLY long & thick lashes,women have actually asked me if I use Fake lashes which makes me feel great!If anyone would like to try this serum you can get it @ www.drugstore.com it is $29.99 & it is called Rapid Lash.Hope this helps.
    Best Wishes
    Red&Radiant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! I am very happy you found a solution! Thank you for sharing!! I will check it out! =)

      Delete
  16. This was so helpful! Thanks! A salon botched my eyebrows six years ago, before my high-school ball. Now, if I go to a salon (obviously, I go to different salons now), they just ‘tidy’ them so I end up with a cleaner version of the original botched job. I’ve never been able to fix them. I tried growing them out, but they ended up sparse. I once got them to looking alright - just alright, not amazing - and it still made a huge difference to my face, so your post gives me a lot of hope that I can better take control of how they look.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i have trichotillomania which causes me to pull all of my eyebrows out including my eyelashes too. this is great using your make-up tips nobody even knows now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Eyebrows are SO crucial to a complete look. A friend who had trouble with thinning eyebrows told me she tried Neubrow. It helped thicken her browline requiring less filling in with a pencil. You can read up on it at www.skinresearchlabs.com. Her eyes look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Lynneth. I am 43 with sparse bros myself. I feel like I do a pretty good job with them, but I am always guessing how the inner lower part of my brow is either to far down into my lid or I am shaping them wrong. I don't even think I have enough hair to get a straight line. Also, my second problem is at what point should the arch round down? Is it measured at the center of the pupil? Thanks for your time and attention to this matter. Have a Grrrrreat Day!
    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  20. The other problem is at what angle the ends should droop and how to get them to droop the same amount each so you dont wind up with a nearly flat brow on one side and a pointed, high arch looking one on the other side. No page I have read address this. I almost want to take one of the geometri rulers and measure the angle of the tails.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your make-up questions,comments and thoughts?

Popular Posts